Tuesday, October 30, 2007

I created an ideological advertisement based on those ubiquitous motivational posters you see hanging up in doctor's offices and classrooms. Usually the message contains an image that conveys some sort of inspirational action or situation. The one I referred to as a model used a picture of several runners at dawn chugging up a sun-licked stretch of asphalt and read: "WINNERS While most people are dreaming of success, winners wake-up and work hard to achieve it". I think this example and the many others in the genre are successful in conveying their message. I also think this would make an excellent platform upon which to place some social commentary. The current political climate operates to stifle the voices of dissent. This advertisement seeks to do the exact opposite by combining imagry of embittered protestors with a powerful message from Martin Luther King Jr. Ideally the format is familiar enough to engage the audience who are the sections of the American public hungry for change. The message is simple; we are furious with the status quo, the lies, the violence, the blatant disregard for human rights, we stand together.

2 comments:

Nathan said...

I love your poster. It would make me so happy if I walked into my dentists office and saw that hanging on the wall.

A favorite quote of mine that would also fit well with this poster is: "Dissent is the highest form of patriotism" -Howard Zinn.

I think we should print these for our future classrooms!

sodapop said...

I love it!