Friday, December 7, 2007

The Avett Brothers




While perusing a quarterly DVD that used to come with my favorite music magazine, Paste, I came across a foot-stomping-scream-at-the-top-your-lungs-to-the-sound-of-banjos-upright bass-and-acoustic-guitars live performance. There was a fantastic emotional intensity that I generally associate with a punk, not a bluegrass band. At the time, I thought that the guys looked pretty great to see live, but didn't think much about the quality of the music. Almost a half year later, again while flipping through Paste, I came across a four star review of the Avett Brother's new album, Emotionalism. The review read:

"With a kick-drum thump and a wild-man scream, these 14 stunning songs carve into your chest and settle in, stitching up the gaping flesh with shredded banjo strings-only to rip free again while the wound is still fresh, leaving you bloody, gasping and desperate for more. A true breakthrough from this hard-working band."

Wow.

I bought the album, threw it into the stereo, sat back in the recliner and didn't get up again until I had listened to the whole thing twice through. I can't remember the last time a single cd has made such an impact on me. Each song is wonderfully constructed, mixing elements of bluegrass, rock and punk. I read that they got their start playing punk and moved later into the American roots of their North Carolina heritage. Their songs are beautiful lamentations of love lost, the paranoia of incessent touring, the comfort of home.

I was lucky enough to catch them last summer at the Fine Line. The raw energy that I has seen earlier on the DVD was immediately apparent from the moment Seth and Scott walked onstage. Together with their bassist, they put on the best live show I have ever been too, easily.

Definitely check them out:

The Avett Brothers

No comments: